Summer is here, which means you may be spending a lot of time indoors to keep cool. Temperatures this year are at an all-time high, with heat waves devastating much of the country. For that reason, the last thing you want is for your home’s HVAC system to begin breaking down or worse, stop working altogether.
Fortunately, if you know how to properly take care of your home’s HVAC unit, you are likely to avoid running into any issues involving your air conditioner breaking down or working less efficiently during the summer. This is especially important for those of us who call Southern California our home given the hot and dry summers we generally experience.
In this blog post, we'll share some vital tips for properly taking care of your home’s HVAC system during the summer in Southern California.
Tips for Taking Care of Your Home’s HVAC System During the Summer in Southern California
Properly maintaining your HVAC system is vital during the summer, and every homeowner in Southern California should make it a priority. The following are a few tips for properly taking care of your home’s HVAC system during the summer months:
- Clean and Replace HVAC Filters – Dirty filters can cause your HVAC system to operate inefficiently by restricting the airflow. It's advisable to clean or replace filters every 30-60 days to preserve the system's efficiency. You can clean filters by vacuuming them or washing them with clean water. You can also get an HVAC technician to replace or clean them for you.
- Keep the Area Around the HVAC Unit Clean – It's important to keep the area surrounding your outdoor HVAC unit clean to prevent dirt and debris from entering it. Over time, dirt on the condenser coils can cause them to overheat, leading to system failure. Keep the area free from grass, leaves, and other vegetation to maintain optimal efficiency. You should also avoid stacking things around the HVAC unit.
- Check Insulation – Insultation leaks and cracks in your insulation can result in increased energy bills. Ensure all the insulation around your HVAC ducts is in good condition and replace it if necessary. This will reduce energy consumption and prevent cool air loss, which in addition to helping to keep your HVAC from breaking down will also help you save money on your electricity bills.
- Monitor Thermostat Settings – Optimizing your thermostat’s settings during the summer can help save energy and money. Try setting the temperature 7 to 10 degrees higher than normal when you're out of the house or asleep. With a programmable thermostat, you can set the temperature ahead of time and forget about it.
- Schedule Regular HVAC Maintenance – Lastly, schedule regular maintenance check-ups with your HVAC technician at least once a year. The technician will check your system and advise you of any possible issues that might become a problem. The annual check-up can help you avoid expensive repairs or system replacements down the line.
Following these tips can help you save money and ensure the durability of your HVAC system throughout the summer.
Need Help with HVAC Maintenance? Contact West Coast Air Conditioning Today!
Let us help you keep your home cool this summer. At West Coast Air Conditioning, our experienced HVAC technicians have been providing air conditioner maintenance and AC repair services to homeowners in Southern California since 1984.
To learn more about West Coast Air Conditioning, read our customers’ reviews.
For relief from the heat, contact West Coast Air Conditioning today at (805) 954-9195 or schedule an appointment with our experts online. Don't endure the discomfort any longer. Let the West Coast Air Conditioning team help you stay cool and comfortable all summer long. We offer free proposals and comprehensive 24/7 services! Ask us about our financing options.